Children enrolled in state and municipal schools have the right to additional training in Bulgarian language
No state institution is officially responsible for the provision of Bulgarian language training for adults.
Refugees and humanitarian status holders have the right to participate in the Employment Agency’s Programme for Employment and Training of Refugees which offers Bulgarian language training for the purposes of employment. In order to be eligible, you need to have received your protection within the two years prior to your enrollment in the programme. You need to apply in the Labour Bureau in accordance with your permanent or current address.
The two integration centers of the Bulgarian Red Cross and Caritas Sofia offer free of charge Bulgarian language courses to beneficiaries of international protection.
- Information-Integration Center of the BRC: offers courses in A1, A2 and B1 levels. The diploma from a successfully finished B1 level is recognized for Bulgarian citizenship. (For the contact details, see section XII. Non-governmental Organizations).
- Anna Integration Center for Refugees and Migrants of Caritas Sofia: offers courses in A1, A2 and B1 levels. (For the contact details, see section XII. Non-governmental Organizations).
The training in both centres is based on a special programme for teaching Bulgarian language to refugees. As of 2019, textbooks for levels A1, A2, and B1 are available. The available textbooks could be freely downloaded from the following links:
- A1 level
- A2 level
- B1 level
- A1 and A2 levels, as well as dictionaries in Arabic, Farsi and French, and B1 with dictionaries in Arabic and English
Paid Bulgarian language courses are also available in universities and private schools.
The department for language training of Sofia University ‘St. Kliment Ohridski’ provides courses in all levels of Bulgarian language for foreigners and issues diplomas which are recognized by the authorities during the application for Bulgarian citizenship.
Address: 27 Kosta Lulchev Str., Sofia
Tel.: +359 2 8723 481
Private language schools also provide Bulgarian courses at various levels. Examples of such schools are:
- Learning centre ‘Astony’ (Tel.: +359 897 865 556, email: email@example.com)
- Language School ‘Intellect’ (Tel.: +359 700 13002, email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Educational Centre ‘Interlogos’ (Tel.: +359 887 602 212, email: email@example.com)
Outside Sofia and online:
- ‘Mastylo’ School (Tel.: +359 898 679 113, email: firstname.lastname@example.org) – online courses
- Davitoz School (: +359 878 952592, email: email@example.com) – courses in Sofia, Varna, Burgas and online;
- Lingua Mundi Language Centre (Tel.: +359 32 62 22 33) – courses in Plovdiv and Blagoevgrad.