According to the Law on Asylum and Refugees, Bulgaria provides two types of international protection:
Upon receipt of refugee status, you receive:
A refugee card valid for 5 years.
You can also request a travel document abroad.
If you receive refugee status, you have the rights and obligations of a Bulgarian citizen, with the exception of:
Participation in national and municipal elections, as well as in national and regional referendums.
- Participation in the establishment of political parties and membership in such parties.
- Occupying positions for which Bulgarian citizenship is required by law.
- Serve in the army.
- Other restrictions expressly provided for by law.
Upon receiving humanitarian status, you have the rights and obligations of a foreigner with a permanent residence permit in Bulgaria. These include the right to:
- Employment without special permission
- Education in public schools and universities
- Family reunification
- Bulgarian citizenship after 5 years
- Travelling abroad
Beneficiaries of refugee or humanitarian status have the right for family reunification.