Identity documents

Identity documents

Documents for persons with refugee status
  • Refugee card (validity period: 5 years)
  • Certificate for travel abroad of a refugee (period of validity: 5 years)
Документи за лица с хуманитарен статут
  • Card of a foreigner with humanitarian status (period of validity: 3 years)
  • Certificate for travel abroad of a foreigner with humanitarian status (period of validity: 3 years)

The card of a person granted refugee status is valid for 5 years, and the card of a person with humanitarian status is valid for 3 years, but this is not the term of the status, it only indicates the validity of the document. One month before the old card expires, you only need to request a new card and pay the fee for it. This procedure applies to both types of cards – refugee and humanitarian.

How are the documents issued?

Bulgarian identity documents for persons with refugee and humanitarian status are issued after submitting an application to the Migration Directorate in Sofia (bul. Maria Luisa 48) or in the Regional Directorates of the Ministry of Interior outside Sofia.


The application is submitted in person, and the following documents are required:

  • Application form for issuance of a personal document – a form generated by the system is provided on the spot, and you should carefully check the completed information;
  • The decision is whether the statute is granted to the bejan, humanitarian statute or asylum;
  • Certificate of entry in the Population Register at permanent address;
  • Passport from the country of origin (if available);
  • Document for paid state fee.

Other documents

Birth certificate

A birth certificate of a child whose parents have received international protection in Bulgaria is issued by the municipality of permanent address of the parents. For this purpose, the medical institution where the child was born officially notifies the municipality. The service is free and mandatory for every child born on Bulgarian territory.

Criminal record certificate

The document is issued by the Criminal Records Bureau in the relevant district court at the address registration. The following documents need to be submitted:

  • Application (to be completed on the spot);
  • ID card;
  • Birth certificate;
  • State fee paid


If you do not have a birth certificate, the State Agency for Refugees (SAR) may issue you a replacement document. It is necessary to submit to the SAR a written application for the issuance of a replacement birth certificate document.


Substitute documents

The State Agency for Refugees may issue certificates that replace the public documents issued by or through the authorities in your country if they are required for the issuance of Bulgarian identity documents or access to rights. These can be certificates that replace birth and civil marriage certificates.



Compass for refugees
Ask your question